4.27.2008

5. Barbara Smit, Sneaker Wars

The subtitle - the enemy brothers who founded adidas and puma and the family feud that forever changed the business of sport - says a lot about what the book's about.  Adi (short for Adolf) and Rudi (short for Rudolf) Dasler founded a shoe company in the town of Herzegonaurach in what became West Germany.  At first the outfit can best be described as a cobbler's shop where Adi made custom sports shoes and Rudi went out team to team and tried to sell the shoes.  As the business grew the brothers and their wives began to feud until shortly after WWII they decided to split the company into two.  Adi came away with the manufacturing side of the business and Rudi came away with the sales side of the business.  Adi named his company Adidas (short for Adi Dasler).  Rudi was going to name his company Rudas (short for Rudi Dasler) but felt that the name was unwieldy and changed it to Puma instead.

The book recounts the early years of the sports shoe and apparel business, the competition between the two brothers' companies, the emergence of Nike and later Reebok, the decline of both Adidas and Puma and the re-emergence of both companies in their current form.  The most interesting part of the story takes place in the earlier years:  the fight between the two brothers and the transformation of the sports business from an 'amateur' enterprise to the big money business that it is today.  After that the book is not so interesting.

3 comments:

Jason L said...

Very cool. I only recently found out that Puma was split off from the original Adidas and I thought the story of how that happened might be pretty interesting.

WeSailFurther said...

I just read the review in the NYT Book review. Your review was more compelling. How'd you choose to read this one?

(And maybe you could comment on the review of the new Martin Amis review?)

Buzby said...

I read the review in the NYT as well. I have to admit that this book is not a literary masterpiece or a great piece of investigative work. Smit does a good job by telling the story with simplicity.

Ever since I read The House of Gucci by Sara Forden, which is an incredible story that closely resembles a mystery rather than a corporate biography, I have been a sucker for these kinds of books.

I read the Martin Amis review as well and came away thinking that his book wasn't going to be very good.