12.26.2005

22. The Lights that Failed by Zara Steiner



I read this 800 page beast in one week - I love holidays! Zara Steiner does an admirable job at describing European international history between 1919 and 1933.

Ideologically she is neither in AJP Taylor's camp (who believe that the the Treaty of Versailles caused the rise of Hitler and WWII) or Hugh Trevor-Roper's camp (who believe that the two events cannot be related). Instead she falls squarely in between them. She acknowledges that Versailles did have some impact on the rise of Hitler then she cautions that the period is far too complicated to tie the two together as simply as the Taylorites do.

If you have the time, this is a very good history of the period and I would recommend it.

1 comment:

Jason L said...

Right on. I wish I knew who all those people were. Still, this sounds like an interesting book and a worthwhile read.

800pp! It should be worth two.