8.30.2005

Tattered US Flag



Once again a tattered US flag is becoming the symbol of a grieving nation.

I'm tired of this tattered US flag crap, especially the way the one from New York has been taken around the country to open everything form the Salt Lake Olympics to small charity events.

I really hope that this image of the resilience of the US flag - after all, it survived a hurricane when some things and people did not - does not take on the same significance as the last one. I can imagine people thinking that the US flag is so tough, it's way tougher than other nylon flags (especially the old Iraqi flag) and it means that come terrorists or big storms our spirit will not be quenched.

It's all way too boring and annoying.

6 comments:

Jason L said...

Freedom Hater!

OlmanFeelyus said...

Jebus I didn't even know about the first tattered flag, let alone they were using such a wimpy and sentimental symbol for this freaking hurricane. Message to the losers in New Orleans: Stop whining. Message to the news media (Canadian and American): shut the fuck up!

Didn't america used to be called "The Land of the Brave"?

Jason L said...

Flag stories are a constant in this region from what I can tell. This piece was in the paper the other day and raised my ire largely because of the overall waste of time/resources/money involved.

http://www.timescommunity.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=15112612&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506035&rfi=6

Send some water purifiers somewhere.

Jason L said...

Same link:

http://tinyurl.com/bsmsy

OlmanFeelyus said...

That is wrong on so many levels. First of all, the story is totally confusing. It's just some flag some dude bought off the internet. And "oak pyre"?! That looks more like a steel drum cut in half to me.

It's all so ridiculous.

WeSailFurther said...

Well, here in NYC there ain't a flag to be found. After, you know, that day in 2001, they were all over. On a bike ride today and I realized I couldn't find a single one to help me out with wind direction or strength. Not even on the tops of the buildings that I can see from the Queensboro bridge.