3.03.2005

A Debate Worth Having

Liberals of varying colors spend a lot of their time deriding Bush's foreign policy and mis-adventures in the Middle East. But what if, in four years time, we have an independent and democratic Palestinian state in stable co-existence wit Israel, a fledgling democracy in Iraq, an independent Lebanon, and no nuclear weapons in Iran. What will we say about Bush then?

The reason I bring this up is that this scenario was a virtual impossibility a few months ago but is now a possible, albeit unlikely, outcome.

We will certainly be able to roundly criticize Bush's domestic policies. But it will be difficult to describe him as an ass.

2 comments:

OlmanFeelyus said...

I have had this thought a few times, but I'm growing increasingly skeptical. I think this situation makes Vietnam look kind of mellow and it's only going to get worse. What information do you have that makes you think things are getting better in Iraq?

The situation in Palestine is interesting. There actually may be grounds for optimism there, though it's still really early.

I think Bush will be remembered as all other presidents before him, criticized but ultimately treated with great respect and buried with honors. There will be a Bush "library". I mean look at Nixon.

Jason L said...

I was walking around the Arlington National Cemetery today. There are several Presidents buried there and inscribed in their tombs are various quotes. Admittedly, many of them were written by speechwriters but they have a lot of power nonetheless.

My point being that Bush may in posterity get some kudos in the long run but it will certainly not be a result of his NOT bring an ass. It will be in spite of it. He'll have been in power at the right time.